Why I chose Make Up Artistry

Monday, October 31, 2016




So what made me turn my back on my beloved psychology, and made me turn to makeup artistry?


I bet you my art teacher saw this coming. 

I was always the artsy kid at my school. People would always see me sketching whether it was during break or even in my Irish classes. They would usually come over and look at what I've created and were always so impressed with my work. And so was my art teacher. 

I was the teachers pet, and always the one you'd see running around the art class creating chaos. 


I always planned to go to the Limerick College of Arts, Crafts and Design. I was even at the open day to see what the place is like and what it offers.


I will always remember the day of my visit there. It was a place where I felt like it was made for me, and the people there already felt like great friends even though I haven't even said a single word to them.
I was fascinated by the big machinery and all the paints and materials. I was already planning my future as I was walking past the artistically messy rooms.

When September came about I was in Galway. More specifically at the National University of Ireland Galway studying Psychology and Philosophy.

Why? Because I was afraid that I wouldn't get far with being an artist and that my future with it was uncertain. So I went with psychology, I thought that I liked talking to people, I like helping them, so psychology must be something I wanted to do. Plus the demand for psychologists has risen due to the exposure to more and more psychological illnesses.

I'm not going to lie, I kinda liked it. I'm not sure if I was in love with my course, or maybe I was in love with the feeling of being an adult. Living away from home, being in a big university.

Fast forward to 2016 and I'm now here with a degree in Applied Social Studies and Psychology.

Even in college, I was sketching, drawing etc. I always played around with makeup and was infatuated with it. I found happiness in doing my makeup. I woke up early just so I can do that AND I made it in time for my early lectures.
I did my friends makeup, and my families. I spent most of my money on makeup. If my friends couldn't find me, they knew I would be in either Boots, Brown Thomas or the local mall looking at makeup.

I never gave up art as I seen it as a way of expressing myself.

I will never forget the call where my mom told me that I should do a makeup course. I was having an extremely hard time with college and my parents knew. They always thought that art wont get me anywhere, it had no future. Yet now, they understood my passion and just wanted me to do what I was happy with. 
I spent the night looking at different courses in Ireland and decided to settle for either Galway or Dublin. I also decided to finish my Psychology course, I wanted to have a back up plan, but then I guess that's what my parents wanted for me all along.

College didn't seem so stressful as it did at the start. My anxiety has lessened and I was finally enjoying things. I was not stressing over study because to be honest, I didn't care about the course anymore. I didn't study as much as I used to, and I didn't pay as much attention in class. I hated going college but I did it for a piece of paper at the end of the year as well as the people in my class with which I grew extremely close with. I counted the days until I could finally live my life the way I always wanted. But I also didn't want it to end because I was happy living in my own apartment and I didn't want to leave my friends behind, my boyfriend also. Long distance friendships and relationships are incredibly hard. Not being able to see your boyfriend for two months when you practically lived with him just a few months ago is hard, I actually hate it. But in order for me to chase my dreams and do what I love, it's just the way things have to be right now, and I'm glad James is fine with it. At least I hope he is. But he wants the best for me and isn't distance the best way to see if a relationship is going to work out in the long run? But I wont be talking about my relationship on here, at least not for a while longer.

Fast forward again to October 2016, and I have my graduation ceremony in 23 days and I am finally doing something I absolutely love and something that I know I am good at. I no lie feel tears in my eyes writing this because I'm so happy haha, also I have a killer cold and I tend to cry a bit when I'm ill, please tell me I'm not the only one haha, even my boyfriend gave out to me for it the other day, like stop, I'm sick, it always happens.
VanityX is now my place and it doesn't even feel like going to college now. It feels like I'm going to a meeting where I do what I love with my friends. I get tutors telling me something I have done is amazing and well done rather than hearing my essays weren't long enough or weren't done correctly. I am having so much fun in class that I don't even see the hours going by or the weeks flying by. Time is going by so quickly when you're happy. Before I know it I will be attending my graduation ceremony getting a diploma so I can continue to do what I love.

I love how I can make anyone feel great with just a bit of makeup or skin cleansing. I find it a bit of a therapy to be honest, I guess you don't need a psychology degree to make someone feel better.
Although I do think I will go back to college to do psychology at some stage in my life.

I honestly don't even think homework is homework. I remember when I walked into my classroom on the first day and seen the whiteboard and on it said 'read chapter on eyelashes'. I was like well if that's the type of homework I'm going to get....

The one thing I don't like about makeup artistry is that people assume that you are stupid.
I remember once I was on the train back home a man looked at my uniform and asked what I was studying. When I answered saying that I study makeup artistry he half laughed and said 'so you just put on some lipstick then' And I was absolutely GOBSMACKED.

I actually have a diploma in Psychology and I do think of myself as a smart person. But I would love if people knew that makeup artistry is more than just lipstick and eye shadow.
It is cosmetic science, it is learning about chemicals and the muscle structures. It is knowing illnesses and diseases of the skin. It's like being a doctor in a way I guess. We need to know what is best for our clients in terms of chemicals and how to analyse skin, how to advise someone correctly on what products would suit or help them.

I wish people thought of us more than vein girls with huge brows that are paid to put on some lipstick. But I guess that's just a stereotype that is always stuck to occupations, and I'll have to live my life proving I'm actually pretty fucking smart. But at the end of the day who cares if I get paid to put on some eye shadow if it's what I love doing. Some old man at the train I guess, but screw him.

I wish I could stick a gif in there of a fairy sprinkling some glitter and saying do what you want to do and don't care about what others say. I will once someone makes one. I suck at that stuff, and photoshop is like black magic to me.

Anyway, that's it for now. Happy Halloween guys! Stay safe but also full of sweets.

Much love,
W.










You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for lovely comments. I really appreciate them, have a nice day! :)